This course provides an introduction to Vetiver grass and the Vetiver System. The course explores the different species of Vetiver grass and details the correct species, Chrysopogon zizanioides, for use under the Vetiver System. The course will outline the characteristics of Chrysopogon zizanioides, how to identify it, and why the Vetiver System has been created around this plant. The course includes a brief historical overview of the original uses of Vetiver grass and the research and development that have seen it grow in application. The course provides an introduction to Vetiver System Technology, outlining the multitude of uses and applications under the system. The course will introduce you to The Vetiver Network International (TVNI) and the key contributors to the development of this System, as well as in introduction to the creation of The Vetiver Institute.
At the successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Identify and describe the differences between the three main species of Vetiver grass
- Identify and outline the characteristics of Chrysopogon zizanioides, the only species of Vetiver grass used under the Vetiver System
- Describe the Vetiver System and how it was developed
- Identify the applications of Vetiver System Technology
- Know the history and key contributors to the Vetiver System and its global community, including The Vetiver Network International and The Vetiver Institute
- Identify the countries where Vetiver can be found
At the end of this course, the student will have an understanding of Vetiver grass and the Vetiver System. The student will know the historical uses of Vetiver and the development of Vetiver Grass Technology. Completion of this course will ensure the student possesses the key knowledge required in identifying and using the correct species of Vetiver grass, Chrysopogon zizanioides, and the myriad of ways it can be used under the Vetiver System. This course is a prerequisite for all courses.